Consortia and Organizations (and specific resources)
American Association of Community Colleges
Assessment, Teaching and Learning for the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC) (located in Washington State)
The Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U)
The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
Community College Research Center
- An Inside Higher Education brief article calls attention to findings from a CCRC report on institutional research capacity at community colleges.
- Bulleted summary report (pdf file) summarizing research findings on effective developmental/remedial education.
Community College Survey of Student Engagement
- Community College Survey on Student Engagement A 2006 CCSSE report finds students are more likely to indicate that their coursework emphasizes memorizing facts than higher-order cognition such as "using information you have read to perform a new skill" or "applying theories or concepts to practical problems or in new situations."
Getting Results is a set of free downloadable multimedia professional development modules for training community college faculty in the pedagogical use of student learning outcomes. The modules use examples from the teaching of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics with a specific focus on Advanced Technology Education classrooms. The Getting Results modules were developed through a partnership of WGBH-TV and the League for Innovation and were supported by NSF funding.
League for Innovation in the Community College
- The 21st Century Learning Outcomes Project involved sixteen community colleges defining and documenting student achievement of learning outcomes.
- The Learning College Project; has involved twelve vanguard; community colleges; strongly commited to the learning college concept. Project objectives have focused on organizational culture, staff recruitment and development, technology, learning outcomes, and underprepared students.
LINKup Employability Skills an alternative approach to fostering the learning and assessment of transferable skills. Originally developed in the context of an electronics program in a technical college in Australia, it features self assessment and flexible certification rather than integration or links to general education.
National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment
Quality in Undergraduate Education
Strengthening Pre-collegiate Education in Community Colleges (SPECC)
a Carnegie Foundation project
A set of downloable reports on faculty inquiry and developing student basic skills
Washington Center for Improving the Quality of Undergraduate Education